Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Harvesting Life is so much more than Food

ALZHEIMER'S ILLUSTRATED: From Heartbreak to Hope by the AAQI


Harvesting the fullness of life and living is so much more than food. It involves relationships, curiosity, community, compassion and empathy. It includes faith, laughter and above all love.
Food fuels us to enjoy and participate in life and living. Food can be the vehicle with which we bring together families, friends and communities. 
But once fueled it doesn't stop there. 
I have yet to meet someone that is without a spark of creativity. It could be music, theatre, painting, sculpting, design, food crafting(chefs and cooks), fabric arts, word smithing. We all seem to have something we can be passionate about when given the opportunity.
Day to day life can rise up so large with its' problems that demand so much of our energy. But when given the time to pause, rest - but not just the body, the mind and spirit also - that creative spark can start to twinkle.
This morning I watched an item on "The Today Show", where a family of 3 lived on $20,000 yearly. Jennifer (the mom), was a master of recycling and creativity with free or minimum cost items. She created a beautiful warm, cozy inviting home for herself, husband and son.
I've been so focused on "getting better", I'd given up on my creative spark.
I love to paint, design jewellery and sew. I'm starting to feel somewhat better and my creative spark is starting to light up.
So, with that said I want to introduce you to one of my Creative Inspiration Heroes - her name is Ami Simms - an amazing quilter. 
Ami started a program called "The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative(AAQI)" after her mother was diagnosed and eventually passed away from Alzheimer's Disease. Ami tells about how the AAQI got started and how we can also help. 
This creative hero struck a chord in my heart. As a nurse dealing with Alzheimer patients. I often saw the person fading away from life. Forgetting relationships that were once dear to them and the toil it took on their families. It is heartbreaking. Finally the diminishing of their physical health, leaving them open to a host of infections and other issues.
If you have the creative leaning of fabric crafts and art, please help Ami to make a difference with Alzheimer's.
I know my creative spark is returning and I'm stoking the flames to get it fully burning again.
Happy Creating!
        
        Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment