Sunday, March 27, 2011

CABBAGE ROLL STEWP (part stew, part soup)

With the snow sticking around from our "Spring" snowstorm, I was feeling like having a stew/soup.


So cabbage roll stewp was in order.
I remembered back in the '60's my Dad was saving to build a new house that he had designed. There were 6 of us to feed. 
Dad had grown up in the '30's with my grandparents  from the old country and stretching a dollar was what they had to do.
So soup was a standby and frequently served. Same as in our house. My Dad was the cook, not Mom.
Strange for that day and age, but normal for my house.
Dad could do 1001 dishes out of ground beef. And believe me things could get interesting.
One of his creations was Cabbage Roll Soup.
I made mine thicker like a stew, using TVP instead of ground beef.


CABBAGE ROLL STEWP

2 cups granular TVP
10 cups boiling water
4 vegan "Beef" boullion cubes (I like McCormick's)
2 medium onions chopped
1 bulb of garlic minced
3 carrots sliced
6 stalks of celery sliced
2 potatoes chopped small
1 small Savoy Cabbage shredded fine
1 large 28 oz can of diced tomatoes and juice (sodium free)
1 cup brown rice
1 TBSP Montreal Steak Spice
1 cup tomatoe juice (I like a vegetable cocktail-sodium free)

1) Bring 10 cups of water in a large pot and bring to a boil, add boullion cubes and stir until dissolved.
2) Turn heat down until the liquid is simmering, add the TVP and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3) Add the other ingredients.
4) Simmer for at least 1 hour.
5) Reduce to the thickness you enjoy. Or add more water or tomatoe juice if you want it thinner.
6) Serve with your favourite gluten free bread.

For your leftovers, the stewp will thicken, add the tomatoe juice to thin out to desired consistency for re-heating.


Note: I didn't add salt separately because Montreal Steak Spice and the Boullion Cubes have salt in them. I know that traditional cabbage rolls don't have carrots and celery, but this adds to the nutritional value. 

No comments:

Post a Comment