Monday, March 21, 2011

Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts

I purchased the "Gluten Free Baking Classics" by Annalise Roberts. I read the first couple of chapters in the book. Annalise has good info about the science and art of baking gluten free. She has 2 different flour blends. One is for cakes, muffins, cookies etc. the other flour blend is for breads.

I went to our nearest Whole Foods, which is about 35 miles away and finally located some Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oatmeal in the larger packages. I've been missing oatmeal more than bread.
So I made the oatmeal cookies from Annalise's book.
I didn't take pictures because they were great tasting but mine spread out so far that they ended looking like cobble stones. My husband who doesn't have problems with gluten declared them great tasting.
I don't think the problem is with the recipe, probably me. I'm re-learning how to bake gluten free.
Things I'll do next time-before scooping onto the cookie sheet, I'll cool the dough in fridge to firm up a little, only put teaspoonfuls on the cookie sheet (I'm used to using tablespoons), get an oven thermometer(I suspect my oven temp is not quite right). I ended up adding about 8 minutes to the baking time.
I really like this cookbook and am going to be trying her bread recipe next.
Annalise has a really great chocolate cake recipe. My husband loves Black Forest Cake, I think I'll try to re-create it starting with that chocolate cake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment