Thursday, July 28, 2011

Allergic Responses, Brain Inflammation and Neurological Degeneration

Brain inflammation, causes pain and swelling. Chronic brain inflammation may cause cognitive changes, neurodegenerative diseases, chronic pain and fatigue. With significant loss of quality of life.

         

I've been doing some research on allergic responses, brain inflammation and neurological degeneration.
I'm gluten and lactose intolerant causing digestive inflammation and pain, meat causes me muscle and joint pain, nightshade vegetables appear to cause me joint pain with burning, all of this causing both body and brain exhaustion with migraines. This is all basically an inflammatory response of the whole body including the brain. This can lead to neurodegeneration and cellular changes when it is a chronic condition.

Why is this so important to me? My younger sister died due to a rare neurodegenerative genetic disorder that caused changes to her brain cells. It can't be tested for, or treated. She suffered for two years in hospital ending her life way too young.

My goal is to reduce my own inflammation and reduce the chances of causing changes in my brain structure that may trigger the onset of the genetic neurodegenerative disorder. Also to gain and pass along as much of my own experiences and information to my siblings, my daughter and nieces.

I know in the past 12 months I've overall reduced the inflammation that my body experiences. I've done this using a vegan diet, removing gluten and now eliminating nightshades from my diet. It all hasn't been smooth sailing as I still have occasional inflammatory days that can extend into weeks if I'm not diligent. But overall I'm better than I was when I stopped working 14 months ago.

Improving my health and reducing my pain by adjusting my diet is a daily conscious effort. The spinal column injuries and reduced mobility are a source of daily challenge. Without the addition of underlying inflammation the back pain can be more manegable.


There is without a doubt a link between diet and physiological/psychological health.

Here's an article that encapsulates the message between food, mood and brain function.
another article:
another article:
another article:

To better health! Chin, chin!
    Karen
   

No comments:

Post a Comment