Monday, July 11, 2011

Completed Tofu "Eggs Benedict", GF Muffins, Protein Powder, Xylitol and Scoops

Tofu "Eggs Benedict" with Tofu "Tarragon Hollandaise Sauce" with Tofu Smoked Tofu Slices in a Brown Rice and Lentil "crepe" (dosa)

Well I finished my Indian "crepes" or dosas. This recipe is from Bryanna Clark Grogan's Brown Rice and Lentil Adai (Indian Dosas or crepes). Once I got the pan up to the right temperature the "crepes" came out great.


Next I made Julie Hasson's Vegan Tarragon Hollandaise Sauce from her cookbook "Vegan Diner", pg. 162. It was easy and quick. I used my "Magic Bullet to make a half batch.


I then steamed the tofu "egg" and the Sunrise Smoked Tofu that I had fried till crisp and sliced. I used a silicon steamer.

I then plated my "Eggs Benedict". First the "crepe"(dosa), then piled on the sliced smoked tofu, folded over the "crepe", some Tarragon Hollandaise Sauce, the tofu "egg", then some more sauce, added some sliced tomatoes. Yummy!


Here's the recipe:
Gluten Free Banana Walnut Muffins
Makes 12.
I used the vegan option for eggs from Bryanna Clark Grogan for flax eggs.
It is good to do this first- 1 TBSP of ground flax seed whisked with 1/4 cup water until frothy.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare your muffin pan by oiling it and dusting with rice flour. Or use muffin tin liners.
DRY INGREDIENTS
In a bowl mix:
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup cornmeal(I used corn flour), needs to be finely ground.
1/2 cup of tapioca starch or arrowroot
2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
1 teaspoon Egg Replacer 
1/2 teaspoon of xanthum gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup xylitol(sugar or powdered sweetner of your choice)*
1/2 cup of vegan protein powder of your choice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

WET INGREDIENTS
In another bowl mix together:
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup non-dairy milk of your choice(I used soy milk)
Add the flax "egg" mixture 
1 cup of mashed very ripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until blended and no flour is seen. Do not overmix. Spoon muffin batter into the prepared muffin tin.
Bake on the middle rack for 18-20 minutes. Cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes, then put on a cooling rack to completely cool.
This muffin is great for breakfast with an orange and cup of tea or coffee.

* Xylitol - Benefits (I use it because I don't get a sugar high or rush  
               when I eat baked goods). Check this site out for more 
               information.



  • Delicious sweet taste... with no unpleasant aftertaste
  • Helps reduce the development of dental caries
  • Reduces plaque formation
  • Increases salivary flow to aid in the repair of damaged tooth enamel
  • Provides one third fewer calories than sugar
  • May be useful as a sugar alternative for people with diabetes (on the advice of their healthcare providers)

I add this Protein Powder to my breads, quick breads and muffins.

This protein powder is made in Canada with soy, Pea Protein, Brown Rice and Bromelian.

TIP:
When I'm baking or cooking I like to use scoops. I get even measures with each scoop. Very handy. I used then for my tofu "egg"(recipe still needs work). Also for the muffins. Look for them in grocery stores, big chain stores or speciality stores.

Play with your food. Experimenting is fun, not always successful. Each time you might fail, you learn something. Being Gluten Free and Vegan can be a challenge, but it sure is interesting.
Karen
P.S. Still working on my photography. Another thing that will get better with practice. 






No comments:

Post a Comment