Saturday, July 9, 2011

Playing with my Food-Tofu "Eggs & Bacon"

My tofu "Egg" just out of the oven.


Recently I watched an episode of "Glutton For Punishment" with Bob Blumer on the Food Network.Bob goes head-to-head against Dim Sum Pros in a Dumpling Making Competition at the Night Market in Richmond, BC.
During the program they talked about how the stuffing was made with the gelatin and mixed with the stuffing. When you bit through the skin of the dumpling a warm broth fills your mouth.
I started thinking, why can't a similiar principle be applied to a tofu "egg".
So using agar flakes mixed with tofu and spices I came up with an approximation that appears just right and the tofu "egg yolk" is soft when cut into. 
The recipe still needs some fine tuning. 


The tofu "Bacon" was easy. I had some Sunrise Smoked tofu that I sliced thin and crisped in the fry pan. Smelled great while frying. Beautiful smoked aroma.
The sliced Smoke Bacon crisped up then cut into smaller pieces.


I'm going to make Vegan "Eggs Benedict", using my tofu Eggs & Bacon" and a vegan Hollandaise Sauce (pg. 162) from Julie Hasson's Vegan Diner over Bryanna Clark Grogan's BROWN RICE AND LENTIL ADAI (INDIAN DOSAS OR CREPES). 
Right now I'm soaking the lentils and rice to make the dosas for tomorrow. I'll update this when The Vegan "Eggs Benedict" is finished.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! Will you be willing to share how you made that 'egg'?

    ReplyDelete