Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Lesson of the Scotch Thistle


The Scotch Thistle now stood over 6 feet tall. It's spiny leaves reaching out and protecting the more spiny main stems of the plant. 
There were many buds ripening and ready to flower. One bud had blossomed into a pretty fuschia purple fuzz on the very tallest main stem.
I knew I had to remove the whole plant and destroy all of it's root system. This hardy weed yet beautiful plant needed to die.
As I looked at the plant, determining how I would go about cutting it down, the Holy Spirit nudged me.
This tall impressive weed was like sin in our lives.
It had once begun as a small plant with few thistles and poorly rooted. But we had not noticed or dealt with it at that time. Now the weed was well rooted and mature. It would be more difficult to deal with.
The outreaching leaves would need to be cut off first.
Just like temptation, identifying it in your life, cutting it out daily.
Next cutting the the weaker stems into pieces to be removed along with the buds: removing unforgiveness from your life.
Now onto the main stem cutting through the well established plant piece by piece; removing judgement of others lest you be judged.
Now the root of this plant, digging purposely, careful to not break the tap root and the fine roots around it. To remove it whole so that it cannot re-establish itself. To remove the fear and worry in my life that presses me down, replacing it with absolute trust in JESUS. Knowing that I am beloved by HIM.
I need to deal with the issues of temptation immediately when they arise, denying them in my life. Seeking HIS amazing strength.
To confess my sins, in order that they may not grow and mature into my life. 
To remember to love and forgive others. And when I don't have the strength to do so, seek the strength of JESUS believing HIM to supply me what I need.
Not to judge others. I am not qualified. JESUS did not judge me, HE choose to love and forgive me. And HE chooses to love me daily.
Finally, to re-nourish the soil of my heart with the word of GOD. In order that I will not become hard hearted.
I will replant the seed of HIS compassion in my heart for others that are seeking, hurting and needing HIS love.
I know GOD has many more lessons in my garden.
I choose to let JESUS lead me in what I need to nurture and what to weed in the Garden of My Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment