Friday, July 22, 2011

Unpredictable Fibromyalgia, possible Nightshade connection


Fibromyalgia trigger spots

I'm still figuring out the fibromyalgia triggers that take me to a place of crash and burn. Yesterday was a crash and burn type day. Every muscle and joint burning and spent 90% of the day in bed or on the couch. Daily I'm challenged with a level of fatigue and pain, but at times it ramps it up and wipes out my day. Sometimes it lasts just a day, sometimes up to several weeks. I know the frequency of my wipe out days has reduced with my dietary changes, use of Omega 3's and glutamine. But when those wipeout days happen they still are a surprise to me. It's like running into a wall you didn't see.
I mentioned this to my friend on Facebook and she suggested that I may be sensitive to "nightshade" foods. 
Tomatoes are also a nightshade plant, that can cause                  arthritic type pain in some people.


Peppers are a nightshade and can cause reactions like                      joint and muscle pain with slight fevers.                              

Most common nightshade vegetables are potatoes and tomatoes. I've already eliminated white potatoes from my diet, but that was mostly a caloric issue. Now I'm going to go without my favourite nightshade, tomatoes. Oh, how I love tomatoes. It's going to be hard, but it will be worth reducing the pain.
I still have more research to do but here is another helpful article I found-
Another article on nightshades-

Nightshade...no it's not a skin cream!

Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic- for Fibromyalgia
If I can live with reduced pain and fatigue though it means giving up some of my favourite vegetables, it's worth it. I plan to go without any nightshade vegetables for at least a week then try my favourites-tomatoes. Then see what happens.

       Karen
      


No comments:

Post a Comment